Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
A good fall/winter side dish.
- 2⁄3 cup coarse stone ground corn grits
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin (or 1 cup canned pumpkin puree)
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the grits and some cold water in a bowl; the husks will rise to the top; drain in a mesh strainer.
- Combine the grits, 1 1/2 cups water, evaporated milk, and salt in a slow cooker.
- Using a wooden or plastic spoon, stir for 15 seconds.
- Add in the pumpkin and pepper, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, until thick and creamy.
- Stir in the butter and cheese; cover, turn off the cooker and let stand for 10 minutes or until the butter and cheese melt.
- Serve immediately.