Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Yummy, healthy, and completely made-up. I use a combo of oil and applesauce, and I almost always use buttermilk (milk and lemon juice, let sit on the counter for 10 m.)
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar or 2⁄3 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup oil or 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups carrots (or more)
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ginger or 1 teaspoon allspice or 1 teaspoon nutmeg, etc
- Beat eggs, and mix in sugar, oil, pumpkin, vanilla, buttermilk, raisins, carrots, and nuts.
- Gradually add spices, flour, and wheat germ. Stir well.
- Bake in well-greased muffin tins or 2 bread pans at 350 until they smell good.
I had high hopes for this recipe, but I just threw away the two loaves of bread I made following the recipe. Perhaps some leavening would help. It did not rise well and it was gooey -- basically awful.