Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I got this from the newspaper where I get my coupons out of. They always have little recipes in there but this one was the first that I have tried. I made it and my picky boyfriend loved it. It is really good but really sweet to. It was very fun to make. I am thinking of cooking it with pecans next time.
- cooking spray
- 2⁄3 cup all- vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar (white)
- 3⁄4 cup hot caramel (I use Smucker's Ice cream topping)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, pie in a can
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups unbleached flour (I use Pillsbury)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot caramel ice cream topping
- 4 teaspoons water (more, as needed to thin)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thoroughly spray 10-inch tube pan or 12-inch Bundt pan (I use the bundt pan)with Cooking Spray.
- Beat Shortening, Butter, and sugar. Beat until wet and then beat in Caramel and pumpkin.
- Beat in one egg at a time.
- In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and spices; stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and beat.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top (Note: pan will be full).
- Bake 70-80 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 15
- In mixing bowl, whisk together confectioner's sugar, Hot Caramel, and Water.
- Drizzle over top of cooled cake, and service.
This was okay...Too sweet for us. I won't make this again. I too clipped it from the paper and waited until this Thanksgiving to make it. I was a little disappointed, it is very pretty though. If you like it sweet you'll probable love this.