Adapted from old Pueblo Indian recipe. This takes a couple of days to make. I haven't made this yet, so don't know how many pieces (servings) it makes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and seed pumpkin and cut into 2x4-inch strips.
- 2Put strips into bowl just big enough to hold them.
- 3Stir baking soda into enough water to cover strips. Pour over strips and let stand 12 hours.
- 4Drain and rinse strips in running water.
- 5Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop strips into water. Cook until tender but not soft.
- 6Remove strips and crisp in ice cold water. Drain.
- 7Juice lemon and cut zest into strips.
- 8Combine sugar, lemon juice, zest, cilantro and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, then boil slowly without stirring for 10 minutes.
- 9Add pumpkin strips, cover pot, and simmer for 20 minutes, until syrup is thick and strips are brittle.
- 10Spread candy on wax paper and let dry for 10 hours.
- 11Store pieces in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Candy
Serving Size: 1 (692 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1958.6
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1897.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 511.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 499.6 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: