Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from old Pueblo Indian recipe. This takes a couple of days to make. I haven't made this yet, so don't know how many pieces (servings) it makes.
- Peel and seed pumpkin and cut into 2x4-inch strips.
- Put strips into bowl just big enough to hold them.
- Stir baking soda into enough water to cover strips. Pour over strips and let stand 12 hours.
- Drain and rinse strips in running water.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop strips into water. Cook until tender but not soft.
- Remove strips and crisp in ice cold water. Drain.
- Juice lemon and cut zest into strips.
- Combine sugar, lemon juice, zest, cilantro and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, then boil slowly without stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add pumpkin strips, cover pot, and simmer for 20 minutes, until syrup is thick and strips are brittle.
- Spread candy on wax paper and let dry for 10 hours.
- Store pieces in an airtight container.