Recipe by Shari2
I found this recipe in a Halloween cookbook but haven't made it yet.(I have no bundt pan) It looks and sounds great for the fall weather.
Top Review by papergoddess
Very good spice cake! This makes a big, fluffy cake, fills up the whole bundt pan. It was nice and moist, and the orange glaze was a wonderful addition. It made my house smell like Thanksgiving. I served this to my family and had my dad over and it got an all-around thumbs-up! (even from my very picky daughter who I didn't think would try it. She said "I think you should make this again!!"").
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter flavor shortening
- 4 eggs
- 16 ounces pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- additional chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 12 cup Bundt pan.
- Combine brown sugar and shortening in large bowl.
- Beat on low speed until creamy.
- Add the eggs one a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the pumpkin and water.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and the salt in a medium bowl.
- Add to the pumpkin mixture, beating at low speed until well blended.
- Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Fold in the 1/2 cup of walnuts and raisins.
- Spoon into the pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Place cake on serving plate.
- For the glaze, combine the sugar, orange peel and orange juice.
- Stir with a spoon until well blended.
- Spoon over top of the cake, letting the excess glaze run down the sides of the cake.
- Sprinkle with additional nuts before the glaze hardens.