Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
When my mom passed, i got most of her recipe/ books. This one i remember was real good as a child.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin filling)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied ginger or 1⁄2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Butter or coat with cooking spray a 9x13 inch backing pan.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- set aside.
- In a large bowl,using a electric mixer, beat butter with brown sugar until creamy.
- beat in juice, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin puree until blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, mixing just until smooth, about 2 min.
- Stir in nuts, if using, and candied ginger.
- Scrape batter into pan and smooth surface.
- Bake in center of 350 f.
- oven until sides of cake pull away from pan and a cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean (30-35 min).
- Meanwhile, for glaze, stir icing sugar with peel in a small bowl.
- Gradually stir in juice until its a spreading consistancy.
- Turn out cake, turn top side up on cooling rack.
- Spoon glaze down center of cake and spread.
- When glaze has set cut into squares or bars and serve.
- Cake will keep in refigerator for at least 1 week and freezes well.
delicious! i used half whole wheat flour and used olive oil instead of butter (just because i am a health freak), and it still turned out well. definitely will be making this one again.
This recipe is delicious....! Had an extra can of pumpking left from the holidays and even candied ginger (don't remember when or why I bought it)...very yummy!