Recipe by Dave C
When my mom passed, i got most of her recipe/ books. This one i remember was real good as a child.
Top Review by Muffincake
delicious! i used half whole wheat flour and used olive oil instead of butter (just because i am a health freak), and it still turned out well. definitely will be making this one again.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin filling)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied ginger or 1⁄2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Butter or coat with cooking spray a 9x13 inch backing pan.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt.
- set aside.
- In a large bowl,using a electric mixer, beat butter with brown sugar until creamy.
- beat in juice, eggs, vanilla and pumpkin puree until blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture, mixing just until smooth, about 2 min.
- Stir in nuts, if using, and candied ginger.
- Scrape batter into pan and smooth surface.
- Bake in center of 350 f.
- oven until sides of cake pull away from pan and a cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean (30-35 min).
- Meanwhile, for glaze, stir icing sugar with peel in a small bowl.
- Gradually stir in juice until its a spreading consistancy.
- Turn out cake, turn top side up on cooling rack.
- Spoon glaze down center of cake and spread.
- When glaze has set cut into squares or bars and serve.
- Cake will keep in refigerator for at least 1 week and freezes well.