Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found on facebook; original recipe from http://theviewfromgreatisland.com/2013/09/pumpkin-walnut-cake-with-nutella-frosting.html. To substitute another pan for the springform pan called for in the recipe, check http://www.joyofbaking.com/PanSizes.html --
for the cake
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1⁄2 cup light olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted (optional)
for the Nutella frosting
- 1 cup nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- milk (to thin) or cream (to thin)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, oil, eggs, sour cream, sugars and spices. Make sure everything is well combined.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together the flour, soda and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing just until combined. Fold in the hazelnuts, if using.
- Spread the batter evenly in a lightly greased 9 inch springform pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.
- Cool briefly before removing from the pan.
- Make the frosting by mixing together the Nutella, sour cream and powdered sugar.
- Add just enough milk or cream for a spreadable consistency.
- Add a little more powdered sugar if the frosting seems too thin. Spread on the completely cooled cake.
Very good dessert which we enjoyed. I never used nutella before, but it was really good on this cake. Thanks for sharing!