Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Stephanie Alexanders South West France
- 1 1⁄2 kg pumpkin, peeled seeded and thinly sliced to yield 1 . 2 kg
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large lemon, zest of, grated
- 75 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 oranges, juice of (navels)
- 4 oranges, peeled and sliced thickly (navels)
- For the orange slices.
- put 1/2 cup sugar and water into saucepan.
- stir medium heat until dissolved.
- increase heat and boil until caramel colour.
- pour most of it into a 22cm cake tin.
- add orange juice to saucepan stir until smooth.
- put orange slices.
- in shallow dish and pour over caramel orange syrup.
- put in fridge.
- steam pumpking intil tender.
- drain 10 minutes.
- heat oven 150 degrees celcius.
- melt butter and add pumpkin and turn to absorb butter and evaporate liquid.
- do not let burn.
- remove, cool 5 minutes and puree.
- using mixer beat sugar, all eggs together until thick anf pale.
- add sest and flour.
- and pumpkin and beat well.
- our into caramel lines pan and cook 45 minutes.
- remove and cool completely even overnight before unmouldin.
- serve with chilled caramel oranges.