Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Popular for Halloween parties, this cake shaped like a pumpkin is sure to please! Prep time includes time for cooling.
- 3 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 3 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons frozen orange juice, plus
- 1⁄2 cup frozen orange juice, thawed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 (15 ounce) can applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food coloring
- 1⁄2 small banana
- Sift together flour, 2 1/4 cups sugar, soda, salt, baking powder and spices in large mixer bowl.
- Add shortening, 6 tablespoons orange juice, water and applesauce; beat 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add eggs; beat 2 minutes longer.
- Blend in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15-20 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Combine egg whites, 1 1/2 cups sugar, cream of tartar, 1/2 cup orange juice and vanilla in top of double boiler, over boiling water.
- Beat with electric mixer at high speed for 5-7 minutes or until peaks form.
- Place 1/2 cup frosting in small bowl; tint with green food colouring.
- Tint remaining frosting orange, using several drops of yellow food colouring and 1 or 2 drops of red.
- Round top by cutting off small amount of cake all the way around.
- Place cake on plate.
- Stand banana in center of cake to form stem.
- Frost cake with orange frosting.
- Frost stem with green frosting.