Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is shaped like a 3D pumpkin and was on the cover of the November 2006 Family Circle
- 2 (14 ounce) boxes pumpkin quick bread mix
- 2 cups water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 (12 ounce) canswhipped vanilla frosting
- orange paste food coloring
- ice cream cones
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- brown sanding sugar
- orange sanding sugar
- Heat oven to 375.
- Grease and flour two 6-cup Bundt pans.
- Prepare quick bread with water, oil and eggs according to package directions.
- Pour batter into pans.
- Bake until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (30-40 minutes).
- Transfer to a rack, cool 10 minutes, invert, cool completely.
- Tint frosting orange, trim tops of cakes level, spread frosting on cut side of one cake.
- Sandwich cakes, cut sides together, and cover cakes with frosting. Smooth frosting, then drag spatula from bottom to top to create "ribs", then repeat, overlapping lines.
- Heat corn syrup in microwave for 5-10 seconds, brush onto ice cream cone, sprinkle with brown sanding sugar and place cone upside down for stem on top of cake.
- Options: tint frosting in different shades of orange and pipe lines of darker frosting over frosted cake, dragging from bottom to top to create ribs; coat a skewer with vegetable oil, roll in orange sanding sugar and lightly press skewer to frosted cake to create vertical sugared lines in the cakes ribs; use smaller Bundt molds to create smaller cakes (half recipe for 6 muffin sized Bundts or 12 brownie sized Bundts) and use pretzel sticks for the stems.