Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 25 mins
This recipe tastes like pumpkin pie, but is made with butternut squash, a sweeter gourd. It has a delicious oatmeal crust. I first made this recipe with my dad at thanksgiving. It was a big hit because everyone thought it was pumpkin. The recipe comes from "The Natural Gourmet" cookbook by Colbin
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 lbs butternut squash
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- preheat oven to 400°F cut the squash in half and place face down on a cookie sheet. bake 45-50 min until tender. let cool. scoop out seeds and trash. take out the pulp and set aside (should be about 3 cups).
- In the meantime make the crust.- oil a 9 inch pie plate. In a bowl mix the oats, brown rice flour, and almonds. in another bowl mix the oil maple syrup, salt, and water. mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones.
- place mixture into the pie dish and press up the sides of the pie plate. Bake for 5-7 min in the same oven as the squash. do not let brown.
- make the filling- mix the squash, eggs, maple syrup, salt, and spices in a food processor until smooth (works well in a blender in small batches).
- pour filling into pie crust and bake for 15 min at 400F then reduce the temp to 375 for 30 min or until set.
- let pie cool at room temp and then chill in fridge.