Recipe by Dee514
This recipe was posted in answer to a message board request. It is from an old cookbook I have (the cover is missing, so I can't tell you which one). Since I don't own a crock pot, I haven't tried it, therefore the "cook time" is an estimate on my part (it was not specified in the recipe).
Top Review by nitasell
Canning alert, people! I read a few reviews that said you canned this great pumpkin butter, but warning -- you shouldn't. Here is the article: http://www.foodinjars.com/2010/10/canning-101-why-pumpkin-butter-cant-be-canned/. But it freezes and stores in fridge very well and lasts a long time.
- 8 cups pumpkin puree
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 lemons, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze the lemons and add their juice to the pumpkin and spices.
- Cook the mixture either in a crock pot on low or in a 300° F oven until it becomes thick and smooth.
- Put the golden pumpkin butter in sterilized, very hot, pint or half pint jars, and seal.