Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy recipe for a healthy and tasty alternative to butter for topping breads, pancakes, muffins, whatever! I really love this spread on top of home-made french toast...mmm!
- In small sauce pan, combine pumpkin, applesauce, sugar, cinnamon and ginger.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring often to prevent scorching, 45 min.
- or until mixture becomes very thick.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Let cool, then spoon into tight-sealing container and refrigerate.
- Will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
I have this simmering on the stove. It's going to be great! I used brown sugar splenda & powdered "True Lemon" instead of fresh, and just threw in the spices -- added cloves & nutmeg. I also sprinkled over and stirred in about 1/4 tsp. of Xanthan gum powder. It gives things a nice, creamy, buttery 'mouth feel' without all those calories. YUM!
On impulse, I recently bought a jar of pumpkin butter at a Williams Sonoma jar for $9.95!! Read the ingredients and thought I must look it up on my favorite website, Recipezaar. Found this one, and w/o a doubt it rivals my recent purchase!!! It's terrific..my Dad is diabetic, so I made it with my homemade applesauce with Splenda, and also used Splenda's new brown sugar..Very good...Thanks for a great recipe!!!
Very tasty spread! I made a half recipe and really enjoyed it. Sweet, but not too sweet. It's like spreading pumpkin pie on your toast.