Top Review by L1lfish
This is great. Very similar to apple butter, and cans in jars very well. My family loved it, as well as some friends I gave it to. This is a neat way to use the pumpkins left over from halloween or thanksgiving time.
- 1 pumpkin (5 to 7 lb.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Split pumpkin in half.
- Discard seed.
- Bake in 400 degrees oven for about 1 hour.
- Remove peel and discard.
- Puree pulp through food mill or in a blender or processor.
- Pour puree into pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stirring frequently, boil until thickened, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- When puree will mound slightly on spoon, measure. Use no more than 4 cups of puree. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered until thick enough to spread; should pass the plate test. (Place a spoonful on chilled plate and place in freezer for 1 minute, there should be no watery ring around the mound.
- Draw your finger through the middle, it should retain its shape and not become liquid. Once you have reached this state, you are done. Refrigerate or use as desired.