Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Made in a slow cooker. Mom has made this and I have tasted it--superb. This recipe uses canned pumpkin puree but you can cook and puree fresh pumpkin--need about 3 cups smooth pumpkin puree.
Top Review by justsaymo
My family loved this. I made according to recipe, except made it on the stove, as my crockpot is large. Next time, I will double the recipe and use the crockpot. Not any trouble to make on the stove using the simmer setting though. Excellent on biscuits. another great recipe from Nurse Di!
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mild honey
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker; stir using a spatula until well mixed (don't worry if there are some lumps in the sugar; they will melt into the butter during cooking).
- Use the spatula to scrape down the sides.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and let cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour to reach desired thickness.
- Turn off the cooker and let the mixture cool to room temperature in the slow cooker.
- Scrape with a rubber spatula into clean glass jars (may use spring-top jars or screw top jars with new lids).
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.
- Or transfer to small plastic containers and freeze up to 3 months.