- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin or 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cloves or 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan or tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the eggs with a large fork until well blended.
- Mix in the sugar.
- Add the oil in a steady stream, mixing all the while, until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Mix in the pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, clove and salt. Add the baking soda and baking powder in pinches, breaking up any lumps with your fingers.
- Stir in thoroughly.
- Stir in the whole wheat and all-purpose flours just until blended.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour and scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert, remove the pan, and cool on the rack for about 15 minutes more. (Makes 10-12 servings)
Wow! So much fat in this! But very yummy! I used chocolate chips instead of walnuts because I didn't have any. I also used all whole wheat flour instead of half whole wheat and half all purpose. It was very moist (most likely from all that oil!) and delicious! Next time I'm going to substitute applesauce for half of the oil and make it a bit less fattening.
Great recipe! I didn't follow it exactly (I omitted the walnut pieces because I thought it had enough fat with 1 1/4 cups of oil!), but it turned out SO well. Loved it, and so did my guests. I'll be making this again.
I made this tonight and the house smelled wonderful long before it was ready to eat! DH and I both were told this week we need more potassium and pumpkin was a good way to get it. This recipe is a delicious way to get it. I can't wait to make it again, but maybe as cupcakes with cream cheese icing, yummmmm!!