Recipe by Olha
This tasty cheesecake is particularly attractive due to the show stopping caramel shards arranged on top.
- 1 cup gingersnap crumbs (about 9 large cookies)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 9-inch springform pan; line side with parchment or waxed paper. Centre pan on square of heavy duty foil; press to side of pan.
- In bowl, combine cookie crumbs, pecans and butter; press evenly over bottom pan. Bake in 350°F oven for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Let cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese with granulated sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in sour cream. Beat in pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and cloves; pour over crust, smoothing top.
- Place pan in roasting pan; pour enough hot water into roasting pan to come 1-inch up side. Bake in 350°F oven for about 50 minutes or until edge is puffed and centre is just set.
- Turn oven off; let cool in water bath in oven, with door closed, for 1 hour. Remove pan from water. Remove foil; let cool completely in pan on rack. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until chilled, or for up to 24 hours. Score into 12 servings.
- On greased foil-lined baking sheet, trace 9-inch circle; with spatula, spread brown sugar evenly over circle.
- With oven door ajar and watching closely, broil sugar for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbling and starting to darken, rotating pan to melt evenly. With greased knife, immediately cut into 12 triangles; let harden. To serve, break along cuts; with tips at centre, stand long edge of each at 45 degree angle on scored lines.
- TIPS: Cheesecakes require gently heating, so they require cooking in a bain-marie (water bath) to ensure even, moist cooking.
- Even baking is also ensured by baking in a low oven, not opening the oven at all during the first 30 minutes of baking, and bringing the cake slowly to room temperature once baked. This means letting the cheesecake gently cool down in the oven for 1 hour, then letting it come to room temperature before chilling it overnight.
- Canadian Living Cooks Step by Step.