Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 12 slices raisin nut bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 butter croissants, sliced lengthwise -- into 1/4
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups light cream or 4 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter sides and bottom of 13x9" baking pan.
- Butter one side of each bread slice and layer in pan alternately with croissants (6 slices bread, croissant slices, 6 slices bread). In large bowl with an electric mixer set on med-high speed, beat eggs until slightly thickened, about 5 min.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat at med.
- speed until thoroughly combined.
- reduce speed to low and add cream; mix until smooth.
- Pour egg-cream mixture over bread and croissant slices.
- the slices will absorb egg-cream mixture slowly, so continue adding liquid until all is in pan.
- In small bowl combine cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon sugar.
- Sprinkle sugar-spice mixture over the bread pudding.
- Fill a baking pan larger than the 13x9" bread pudding pan halfway up with hot water.
- Place in oven, set bread pudding pan in the water bath.
- Bake 45-50 min.
- or until custard is set. When set, remove the bread pudding from the oven, and discard water in larger pan.
- Cool to room temperature. refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
Great recipe; however I do not understand why it is called Pumpkin Bread Pudding. There is nothing "pumpkin" about it.