1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Bread Pudding With Dutch Honey Syrup
1 hr 15 mins
I invented this because I don't like dry bread puddings but prefer the moist rich variety. So here is my version of an old favorite. Rich and moist but less sweet and thus the option of Dutch Honey #71143 for a topping. The family has dubbed it a favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 cups whole wheat bread (1 loaf)
- 6 eggs
- 3 -3 1/2 cups milk (whole works best)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/2-1 cup raisins
- 1 -2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1Place the bread crumbs in a large oversize bowl. The measurements need to be close but no need for exactness here. You can use any unflavored bread, challah, white, even raisin bread. Stale is best but not dry.
- 2In another medium bowl beat the eggs.
- 3Add 3 cups milk, sugar, pumpkin and spices in the bowl and mix well with a wire whisk.
- 4Pour the egg and milk mixture into the bread crumbs and stir. Let the bread soak up the milk and add more milk if it is too dry. It may vary depending on your bread.
- 5Add raisins and nuts.
- 6Pour into a well sprayed large casserole dish if it has a lid it will be better. It needs 1-2 inches of head space. Add milk if needed to fill holes.
- 7Cover with lid or foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. This will or should stay moist and soft not dry.
- 8You may also use a crockpot on low for 4-6 hours. Your crockpot liner works well in the oven too.
- 9While it is cooking make the Dutch Honey (Dutch Honey Syrup). Just in case you have a sweet tooth in the house.
- 10Serve cool, cold, warm, or hot. Trust me it is good in all forms.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Bread Pudding With Dutch Honey Syrup
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.4
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 114.2 mg
- Sodium 73.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat bread