Recipe by gemini jodi
NOT gluten-free, but I'm working on that. A family favorite, I give my GF son some of his gluten-free pumpkin bread with the caramel sauce when we have this dish. In a pinch, I used evaporated milk instead of half & half, seemed to be just as good.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I used a pound of a nutty, whole grain bread for this pudding & also the half-and-half, then left out the rum & omitted the whipped topping! Very nice, topped with this caramel sauce! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups eggnog
- 15 ounces pumpkin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 cups cinnamon raisin bread or 10 cups challah bread, cubed into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup raisins (can use less if using raisin bread)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup extra-fine sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 11x7 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk half & half/eggnog, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, spices & vanilla in large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Fold in bread cubes, raisins & pecans.
- Pour into baking dish, let stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake until tester inserted in middle comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Caramel sauce:.
- Over medium heat, in medium saucepan, whisk brown sugar & butter until gets to a rolling boil. Whisk in whipping cream, lower heat, continue whisking until sauce is smooth & thickens a bit. Should still be a pouring consistency.
- Whipped cream:.
- Whip whipping cream & extra-fine sugar together in chilled mixing bowl until stiff peaks form. Use to garnish bread pudding & caramel sauce.