Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350*.Cut pumpkin into quarters; remove seeds.Discard seeds or save for roasting.Place pumpkin, cut side down, on a lightly greased baking pan.Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until almost tender.Remove peel; cut baked pumpkin into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together milk, eggnog, eggs, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.sprinkle raisins on bottom of an ungreased 3 qt. rectangular baking dish.Spread bread over raisins.Pour egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Carefully stir in cubed pumpkin.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the pudding is puffy and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool pudding slightly (pudding will fall in center). Drizzle with Warm Caramel Sauce. Makes 12 servings.
- Warm Caramel Sauce: In a heavy saucepan melt caramel squares with whipping cream over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Stir in anise seed and rum flavoring, if desired.
- Cool slightly before serving Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine