Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This came from the Nov 2000 issue of Bon Appetit. It's super easy to make and absolutely delicious, everyone always asks for the recipe. It does not have an overwhelming pumpkin flavor. It's very moist and sweet. Don't sprinkle on the powdered sugar until the last minute, right before you serve, or it will melt into the bread.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 cups egg bread, cubed (about 10-ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Whisk half and half, pumpkin, dark brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and vanilla extract in large bowl to blend.
- Fold in bread cubes.
- Stir in golden raisins.
- Transfer mixture to 11x7-inch glass baking dish.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake pumpkin bread pudding until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare caramel sauce:.
- Whisk brown sugar and butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until butter melts.
- Whisk in cream and stir until sugar dissolves and sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar over bread pudding. Serve warm with caramel sauce.