Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious autumn dessert. Serve this either warm or cold with Yogurt Dessert Sauce. This recipe comes from The New American Diet cookbook.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Crumble the bread by hand or food processor to make bread crumbs.
- Combine the egg substitute, milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, spices and vanilla.
- Fold in raisins and bread crumbs.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole and set dish in larger baking dish which has been partially filled with hot water.
- Bake 1 hours or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
What a great dessert. Enjoyed by the whole clan!
We love bread pudding at our house and I wanted to do something to celebrate the fall, so I thought I'd try this recipe. I used an entire loaf of Pepperidge Farm Pumpkin Swirl bread and just doubled the rest of the ingredients. I also used Splenda to save on some extra calories. I omitted the raisins just due to personal preference. Served with a dollop of Cool Whip, this was a tasty treat! Thanks for posting.
Just made this today. I doubled the recipe because I bought raisin Challah (SP??) bread and cubed it up about 1" cubes and there was ALOT! :-) (Darn!) :-) but I used 1 cup egg whites, 2 eggs and 2 flaxseed egg replacements. I used 4 cups skim milk and 1/2 cup fat free greek yogurt, added 1/4 tsp salt, extra cinnamon but other than that I followed the recipe. (I guess that is quite a few changes, huh?? It's what I had on hand though) It has WONDERFUL flavor and my bread pudding hating husband even liked it. I think this might be Christmas morning breakfast this year. Thanks for a quick and easy AND YUMMY recipe!!