Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the October, 2007 GOURMET MAGAZINE issue. Soft country bread soaked in rich custard. Cozy up on a cold Wintry night with this fragrant spicy pudding.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup solid pack canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 5 cups one inch cubed day old baguette or 5 cups crusty French bread
- 1⁄8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack inches.
- Whisk together cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, yolk, salt and spices in bowl.
- Toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl,then add pumpkin mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish and bake until custard is set, 25 to 30 minutes.
A very good comfort food especially when served warm.