Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Not your usual stuffing! The sweetness of the pumpkin bread is offset by the savory taste of the various herbs. Go on, dare to be different this Thanksgiving! From allrecipes.com submitted by Ibby.
- 6 cups cubed pumpkin bread
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups chopped red onions
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms (or button if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons chicken broth
- Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let dry overnight.
- Alternatively, heat in a 250 degree oven until dry, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute celery and onions for about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, and continue cooking for about 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Season with rosemary, tarragon, chives, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Fold in bread cubes, and add enough broth to moisten.
- Transfer to prepared dish and cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove cover, and bake for 10 minutes, or until top is crisp.
This was excellent stuffing, very addicting. I did not add the mushrooms and instead of regular pumpkin bread, I made Pumpkin Cranberry Bread. I also added Walnuts. I felt that the pumpkin bread may have been a tad too sweet for a stuffing so next time I will cut a little bit of the sugar out. (It was a lot like dessert). This really is a 5 star recipe and a MUST try. Thank you for the recipe, I will be making it again for Thanksgiving.