Recipe by Bec
Pureed squash can be substituted for the pumpkin. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 2 cups canned pumpkin or 2 cups pumpkin puree or 2 cups cooked pumpkin puree
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, blend pumpkin, sugar, oil, water, eggs and egg whites.
- Add flours, soda, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.
- Blend at low speed until moistened, then beat 1 minute at medium speed.
- Pour batter into two non-stick sprayed and fluored (bottom only) loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 75 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes and remove from pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.