Recipe by Sydney Mike
My mom was using this recipe over 55 years ago, & the only thing I've changed from her original set of ingredients is the addition of dried cranberries! I've eaten a lot of loaves of this bread, both with & without the crans!
Top Review by Lalaloula
This recipe makes a SUPER TASTY pumpkin bread! It has a great pumpkin and spice flavour, which reminded me of winter holidays. The texture is soft inside with a crunchy top. Mmmm, absolutely yummy! I made only half the recipe and used muffin tins as I was a little short on time and that way the baking time was only 20 minutes. Also I left out the cranberries (Ill add them in next time, though as Im sure theyll add a nice flavour) and reduced the sugar by half, which was still plenty for me. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing another wonderful recipe with us, Syd! It will surely be made again not only during holiday season. Made and reviewed for Edn#8: Make My Recipe Tag Game August 09.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pumpkin (NOT pie mix)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dried cranberries (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir together the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, eggs, oil, water & pumpkin, mixing well.
- Add the flour, two cups at a time, mixing well.
- If using cranberries, add them, & mix well.
- Pour the batter into two 9" loaf pans, dividing evenly.
- Put in the oven, & bake for 1 hour & 45 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center tests clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing loaves from the pans.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.