Recipe by swissms
From Foster's Market (North Carolina). This pumpkin bread has a wonderful flavor. You can use two loaf pans, a 12-cup bundt pan, or make 2 dozen muffins (if making muffins, bake for only 15-20 minutes). Feel free to add chopped pecans to the batter. You can also add a streusel topping or once the bread has cooled you can sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Top Review by Katzen
This is such a wonderful recipe! How absolutely delicious! I asked the recipe author for permission to make a few changes, which she gracefully allowed... so here's what I did. First, she indicated in the recipe that you could use a bundt pan, and well, I had a new one I'd been itching to use, so I did. I added 1 tsp of maple extract ~ yum! And finally, I used a struesel from another bundt cake recipe, and did a layered struesel... two layers - one which formed the top of the cake (so went in the pan first), and one in the middle. You can see the stripes in my pic of the whole cake. Not only is this cake visually stunning, it is decadent! For the streusel, I used: 1 cup flour, 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed), 1 teaspoon cinnamon,1/2 cup butter (cut into the sugar/flour/cinnamon), and 1 cup pecans. Thanks so much for the recipe, swissms!! Made for PRMR Tag.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil or 1 cup safflower oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour two 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pans or one 12 cup bundt pan. (Or line 24 muffin cups with paper muffin cup liners).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, eggs, and oil in a separate bowl until well blended. Stir in the pumpkin, water and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until all the ingredients are moist. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean (start checking at about the 45 minute mark). If making muffins, bake for about 15 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from the pans.