1/1 Photo of Pumpkin Bread
4 hrs 40 mins
Barefoot Beachcomber's Note:
A yeast bread made with pumpkin. From "Ultimate Bread". A good toast bread. Originally one of Cornelia's recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Add pumpkin to a large pot of boiling salted water.
- 2Simmer until soft and completely cooked, about 20 minutes.
- 3Drain pumpkin, reserving liquid.
- 4Mash pumpkin and puree in blender or food processor.
- 5Allow pumpkin puree and reserved liquid cool to lukewarm.
- 6Sprinkle yeast into 1/4 cup of reserved liquid (if you're using canned pumpkin puree, use water instead).
- 7Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 8Add honey.
- 9Stir to dissolve.
- 10In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
- 11Make a well in the centre.
- 12Pour in yeast mixture.
- 13Add pumpkin puree.
- 14Mix in flour gradually to make fairly firm, coarse, sticky dough.
- 15If it's too dry, add a little bit of the reserved liquid.
- 16Place dough on a lightly floured work surface.
- 17Knead until very smooth, silky and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- 18Place dough in a clean bowl, covering with a dish towel.
- 19Let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 20Punch dough down.
- 21Let rest for 10 minutes.
- 22Shape dough into a round loaf.
- 23Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 24Cover with a dish towel.
- 25Proof until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 26Beat together egg yolk and milk and pinch salt.
- 27Using a pastry brush, brush dough with egg glaze.
- 28Sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
- 29Bake in preheated 425 F oven for 40 minutes, until bread is golden and sounds hollow when you tap it underneath.
- 30Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2215.1
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 190.9 mg
- Sodium 4845.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 444.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 68.7 g