Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Of all the breads I make, this is always a favorite that I include in my Christmas goodie baskets. I don't usually make regular size loaves, I make mini loaves. The recipe is the same, baking time is usually around 35-45 minutes.
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 16 ounces pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts (coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom ONLY of 2 loaf pans, 9x5x3.
- Mix sugar and shortening in large bowl, stir in pumpkin, water and eggs.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, vanilla, and baking powder; stir in nuts.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake until wooden toothpick comes out clean, 60-70 minutes, cool for 5 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans, remove bread from pans.
- Cool completely before slicing.
I made 2 8x4 loaves using Splenda for the sugar and 2 whole eggs + 1/2 cup of egg whites. I also trimmed the amount of walnuts. One loaf I put in the freezer and the other I sampled with gingerbread spice tea. So nice!, I'm thinking about making a big bundt loaf next Fall/Winter. This has very nice flavor and texture. made for Pic A Chef, Spring 2013 round.