Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This has a nice spicy flavor and makes two large loaves.
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Measure water into a large mixing bowl; add 2 teaspoons sugar and stir to dissolve, then sprinkle yeast over water and let stand for 10 minutes and.
- Stir well.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, molasses, salt, spices, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat very well with a wooden spoon to blend.
- Stir in milk, oil, and half the flour and beat well with wooden spoon; stir in raisins.
- Add enough of remaining flour to make a firm dough that is easy to handle.
- Turn onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Put in greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until double, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down and rise again until nearly double, about 30 minutes.
- Divide in two and shape each into a loaf, put in pans and let rise until double. Brush with butter.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 40-50 minutes.