Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An easy and spicy bread. Great with a little butter on it.
- 395.10 ml all-purpose flour
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 78.07 ml shortening (I use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 unsalted butter)
- 295.73 ml white sugar
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml canned pumpkin
- 78.07 ml water
- 118.29 ml walnuts (optional)
- Pre-Heat oven to 350.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together onto a sheet of wax paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add the eggs, ont a time, beating thouroughly after each addition.
- Stir in pumpkin and then stir in dry ingredients in 4 additions, alternating with the water until just smooth. Do not overbeat.
- Add walnuts now if you like.
- Turn into a greased loaf pan and bake for 50 min.- 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
Wonderful quick bread recipe. In particular, I really loved the spices in it (though I will probably double the cinnamon and nutmeg since I really, really like that combination in this bread recipe). But the bread was quite moist and flavorful, and everyone really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Dessertcher.
replaced the water with brandy, used yogurt and canola oil in place of the shortening, added chocolate chips, and used all whole wheat flour and it is sublime! Thank you! I will definitely be making this again!
Very good pumpkin bread recipe. Nice and moist. Light and fluffy. Easy to put together. Made for Spring, 2010 PAC. Thanks for sharing, Dessertcher. This one's a keeper!