Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
My mother has made this pumpkin bread recipe each year around Thanksgiving since I was a little girl. I often make loaves and give as gifts to friends and teachers. This bread is very moist and dense with a lovely spiced pumpkin flavor.
- 5 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts, chopped
- Grease three 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add pumpkin; mix well.
- Sift in dry ingredients alternating with water.
- Mix until smooth.
- Fold in nuts.
- Turn batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
Excellent pumpkin bread. I scaled the recipe down and made only one loaf, but now I wished I made the whole recipe! I used butter instead of shortening, but otherwise followed to a "T". Loved the texture and the flavor...thanks for sharing! P.S. I needed about 60 minutes bake time.
Fanstastic!! Great flavor and texture, my family loved it, it froze like a charm. This is going in our family favorites binder. I added raisins to 1 loaf, since my husband doesn't like nuts. Next time I'm going to try addding chocolate chips in one loaf, or an orange glaze on top of another - there's a lot you can do with this recipe - thanks for posting it!
YUMMY!!! i can not stop eatting this!! I followed recipe exactly other than adding some raisins. Definately will be making more..