Recipe by Kevin McGinley
Mother's version that delights us every Thanksgiving.
Top Review by Vicky Lynne
I've made this so many times and finally got around to reviewing!
It's my son's girlfriend's favorite so I make it regularly for her. One great thing about this recipe is it's simplicity. It's also very adaptable. I have tried variations, and decided on my favorite: 2 cups white sugar and one cup brown sugar, 1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon maple extract.
Other options - add 1/4 t ground cloves, or ground ginger, or a dash of nutmeg.
- juice of 1 medium orange to substitute for some of the water
- up to 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 eggs
- 1 (1 cup) oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix eggs, oil, water, and pumpkin.
- Add sugar.
- Gradually add in mixture of flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Grease 3 loaf pans and fill halfway with batter.
- Bake all loaves simultaneously for 1 hour.
- Bread freezes well.