Recipe by rgvinet
A fairly traditional muffin recipe, but substituting granulated Splenda for sugar reduces the carbhydrate level without affecting taste. Adding walnuts or pecans to the muffin mix increases the fat content and enhance the taste, but the carbs stay the same. All Bran cereal will work in place of the natural bran, but it contains sugar and thus adds carbs. Use 3 cups All-Bran cereal instead of the 1 1/2 cups natural bran.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Splenda granular (no calorie artificial sweetener)
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural bran
- 15 ounces solid pack pumpkin
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil the cup of water and mix in 1 cup of the bran, set aside.
- Mix remaining wet and dry ingredients in separate containers, then combine.
- Add the water/bran mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon into greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins are done.