Yummy with all the oats and just a hint of orange; moist and not too sweet - a big favorite around our home. I suppose you should keep leftovers refrigerated in a sealed container, but don't know - we never have any left over! Based on a recipe from "Oat Cuisine." (Edited to emphasize that these are *not intended* to be super-sweet muffins. My kiddos like them without the extra sweetness and for that I am oh-so-grateful! ;o) If you are looking for a less sweet muffin, this is for you.)
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (I use golden sultanas)
- Spray muffin pan (12 muffin size) with cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and mix well.
- In separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except raisins; blend well.
- Add liquid mixture and raisins to dry mixture; mix until ingredients are moistened.
- Divide among muffin cups (Recipe originally said 10, I divide among 12 and it works fine).
- Smooth top slightly.
- At this point I sprinkle them with a little more cinnamon Bake at 400 for 20-25 min, or until center comes clean on toothpick/knife.
- Cool on rack.