Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adaptation of a muffin recipe I found. I reduced the flour and added flax seed for more fiber and omega-3's. I also added spices and pumpkin puree. These are a great fall treat, and convenient if you have leftover pumpkin (those cans are huge!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately.
- Combine together, just until dry ingredients are combined. Batter will be lumpy.
- Pour into lined muffin pan. I usually spray the paper muffin cups with non-stick spray - hearty muffins tend to stick.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.