Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I adopted this recipe from the Recipezaar account as I am always on the look out for make ahead desserts. This is the original introduction : "I came up with this recipe after having a Pumpkin Pie Blizzard. I like to serve it with cool whip and a little nutmeg."
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed gingersnap cookies
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine first two ingredients and press in the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes.
- Then blend the last three ingredients together and pour into pie crust.
This had really great flavor, but I didn't love the texture .... it was icy rather than creamy (because the ice cream had to be softened to mix w/the pumpkin and then refroze, or because of the watery rather than creamy texture of the pumpkin, I'm not sure). My mother on the other hand liked the texture because she prefers lighter desserts. The gingersnap crust is a great idea, definitely a keeper for me, and something I'll use w/other pies as well. Thanks for posting it!