Recipe by Megan Thieme
I got this out of a magazine (BH&G??) a few years back, have made a few small changes, and now make huge batches of this to eat, freeze, and give away several times a year. I'm to the point where I quadruple the recipe instead of doubling it now. lol. I hope you enjoy!
Top Review by GIBride01
This was a really nice soup! I have a black bean soup recipe I usually use, but wanted to try one with pumpkin. This had a very nice, complex flavor, despite few ingredients. Followed recipe with the exception of white onion for the red as I was out of red onions. Also added an additional 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder which gave the soup a nice zip! Great recipe, thanks for posting. Will be making again.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oil, onion, garlic, and seasonings into a large pot.
- Cook on low-medium heat until onion and garlic brown.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, broth, and pumpkin to the pot. Puree with a hand blender (you can also do this before adding to the pot in a stand-up blender).
- Simmer uncovered until thick, about 45 minutes.
- You can add baked pumpkin seeds as a garnish. I usually add a dollop of FF plain yogurt and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.