Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This thick, rich soup is delicious on a chilly day. Great accompaniment to your holiday turkey - especially if you or someone you love is a vegetarian.
- 59.16 ml margarine
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground allspice
- 3 (1275.72 g) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes
- 453.59 g can pumpkin puree
- 946.36 ml vegetable broth
- 44.37 ml balsamic vinegar
- Melt margarine in a large pot.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice and cook on low-medium heat until the onion and garlic begin to brown.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, pumpkin and broth to the pot.
- Using a stick blender, puree ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered, until thick, about 40-45 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar.
This is a great high fiber, low carb one dish meal. Don't be afraid of the cinnamon and allspice, it really compliments the entire dish. My kids love black bean soup, and I wanted to incorporate some pumpkin I had (you can never sneak in enough vegetables). This was a wonderful filling meal and I loved the balsamic in the finished dish. I froze half of it (it freezes nicely) for a cold autumn day. Also nice topped with some sharp cheddar & serve with some warm rolls. Thanks for sharing!
Fantastic! The texture was nice and thick. I blended it as directed, but just left a tad bit unpureed. I thought it was spiced perfectly, without being "spicy." The final touch of the balsamic vinegar was fabulous. Thanx for a healthy delicious soup!