This thick, rich soup is delicious on a chilly day. Great accompaniment to your holiday turkey - especially if you or someone you love is a vegetarian.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Melt margarine in a large pot.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice and cook on low-medium heat until the onion and garlic begin to brown.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, pumpkin and broth to the pot.
- Using a stick blender, puree ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered, until thick, about 40-45 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the balsamic vinegar.