This soup is thick and filling and very simple to make. I prefer this with chicken broth, but if you need to make it vegetarian, use vegetable broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, pack down the cup, NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cumin and curry powder and sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broth, thyme, pumpkin puree, salt, pepper and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the black beans and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat. Cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream.