This soup is thick and filling and very simple to make. I prefer this with chicken broth, but if you need to make it vegetarian, use vegetable broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, pack down the cup, NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cumin and curry powder and sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broth, thyme, pumpkin puree, salt, pepper and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the black beans and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat. Cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream.
Yummy, perfect Fall soup! We doubled the recipe and it was the perfect amount for our family of five with a little leftover for the next day. Also added some cilantro to the mix at the end and topped with a bit of sour cream. Thanks for a GREAT recipe that has been added to our favorite soups!
This is very good. I wasn't sure what the end result would be but I was not disappointed. I could definitely taste the curry (which I love). I don't think my kids or husband would like this but that is okay- more for me!
Very good and very easy, two of my favorite things! I used 2 cups of pumpkin (because that's what I had thawed and I didn't want to waste the other cup). In the future, I'd probably add just a touch more broth when I do that, as it ended up very thick. But it still tasted fantastic!