Recipe by *Parsley*
This soup is thick and filling and very simple to make. I prefer this with chicken broth, but if you need to make it vegetarian, use vegetable broth.
Top Review by Girle
Yummy, perfect Fall soup! We doubled the recipe and it was the perfect amount for our family of five with a little leftover for the next day. Also added some cilantro to the mix at the end and topped with a bit of sour cream. Thanks for a GREAT recipe that has been added to our favorite soups!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, pack down the cup, NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cumin and curry powder and sauté for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broth, thyme, pumpkin puree, salt, pepper and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the black beans and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat. Cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream.