Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from my 365 Low Fat recipes cookbook. This would freeze well.
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (11 ounce) package butternut squash, thawed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- I a medium saucepan, combine pumpkin, cooked squash, chicken broth, salt, spices and ¼ cup water.
- Mix well until smooth.
- Stir in evaporated milk.
- Heat slowly to serving temperature, stirring frequently.
- Garnish each serving with a dash of nutmeg.
This is wonderful, I'm thinking that it will be on mt Thanksgiving table this year. I'm out of nutmeg atm so used allspice in it's place. I was doing wee taste tests as it was made and when everything except the pepper was in I was a bit concerned because it was seriously lacking something. I added some white pepper and like magic the flavor was fully rounded and had me making that mmmmmm sound. Don't skip the pepper! It's very quick to make and I used fat free evaporated milk. For me, this is a keeper.
This is not a bisque.
Great, easy recipe. Delicious fall dinner. I, too, felt it benefited from a little extra pepper to bring out the flavor. I used low sodium chicken broth, and added another 1/4 tsp of salt.