Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From 11/23/05 Post-Dispatch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 2⁄3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 (15 -16 ounce) cans pumpkin
- 2 2⁄3 cups heavy whipping cream (40 percent gourmet)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- In large heavy stockpot, melt butter over low heat; add whole garlic clove and cook, turning occasionally, until carmelized, about 4 minutes, being careful not to let the garlic burn. Mash garlic with back of spoon (or use garlic press).
- Add rum; simmer for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to low boil; whisk in pumpkin.
- Add cream, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Bring to moderate boil; cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently.