Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cubes of fresh apple, browned in a skillet, add the perfect contrast to this luscious, dairy-free soup.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored & chopped
- 1 leek, white part only,finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 yams or 1 sweet potato, peeled,halved lengthwise and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- salt & pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced chives, , for garnish
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the leek and chopped apple until the leek softens, about 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, yam, puréed pumpkin and thyme leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the yam and apple are soft when pierced with a knife, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the hot soup to a blender or food processor and purée.
- Pour it into 6 bowls, Garnish each bowl with a teaspoon of the chives, and serve.
I made this recipe for a soup potluck that we have at the office every Friday in the winter. I doubled it (no problem) and subbed chicken stock for half of the veg stock. It was VERY easy to make, just chop, saute, simmer, and puree. Here's hoping everyone at the office loves it, too. I'll post a pic after lunch.