Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
Flaky pumpkin biscuits subtly enhanced with a touch of brandy extract
Make and share this Pumpkin Biscuits recipe from Food.com.
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°F Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- 2. Cut in Parkay with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in currants, if desired.
- 3. Add pumpkin, milk and brandy extract; stir just until blended.
- 4. Place dough on heavily floured surface; knead 30 seconds, or just until dough is no longer sticky. (Do not overwork dough.) Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut into circles with 2-1/2-inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, rerolling dough scraps as necessary. Place, 1 inch apart, on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
These were devoured in mere minutes in my house! I halved the recipe and used cinnamon, allspice, ginger, clove and fresh grated nutmeg in place of the pie spice. I also didn't have brandy extract so I used 1 tsp spiced rum and buttermilk in place of regular milk. My biscuits were a tad wet for rolling because I got a bit heavy-handed with the buttermilk. Oops! So I made drop biscuits and they baked up tender and yummy, if slightly denser than a normal biscuit. I will definitely be making these any time I have excess pumpkin...
I am not going to rate this recipe as I was not pleased with the outcome. I mixed it up as directed and the dough was too sticky and soft to knead even though I added more flour. I think the two cups of liquid is too much for the amount of dry ingredients. I used salted butter and reduced the salt to 3/4 teaspoon. When I added half the liquid amount (milk, pumpkin, brandy) the mixture looked fine, when I added the second half the mixture was like a drop biscuit batter so that's what I did. They smelled wonderful while baking! Unfortunately, the biscuits were not flaky, but very heavy and doughy. Sorry Chef amfox, this recipe did not work for me, prepared forPAC spring 2010.
I was really craving something new with pumpkin & these did the trick! I also liked that it's not like a desert, like so many pumpkin recipes are.