Recipe by Rhiannon and Matt
A great, low-fat recipe from Australia's Slimming magazine. The recipe makes 6 strudels, so it's a great family meal.
- 400 g pumpkin, peeled & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 250 g frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 250 g low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- cooking spray
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Then in a microwave safe bowl combine pumpkin & garlic & cook on high for 8 minutes until tender (or steam it if you like).
- Mash pumpkin/garlic mix, then combine that with the spinach & ricotta and season with salt, pepper & basil.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Spray each sheet of pastry with the cooking spray & lay one on top of the other.
- Spread some filling in the centre of the top sheet.
- Fold in the shorter edges first, then fold the longest side over & carefully roll up.
- Repeat steps 6 & 7 with the others.
- Place on oven tray lined with baking paper & brush on some egg white.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds & bake for 35 minutes, until they're golden & crisp.
- Serve with your favorite salad.