Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great dessert recipe.
Make and share this Pumpkin Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 15 ounces pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup walnuts, Chopped (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting -
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 1⁄2-4 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- In large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In another container, combine pumpkin, cooking oil and eggs till thoroughly mixed. Add to dry mixture. Stir until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- If desired, stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter into a sprayed 15x10x1-inch-baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING.
- In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium to high speed till light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powdered sugar to make the frosting of spreading consistency.
- Cut into bars.
- Store, covered.
- **Note: Substitute one 16-ounce can of applesauce for the pumpkin and presto! You have applesauce bars.
Awesome recipe, I had the pumpkin version last week at a relative's house and it was really good, BUT there was a grittiness to it. She agreed. This week I decided to try to the applesause version. On the icing portion of the recipe, I am thinking there may be a part left out of the instructions as there seems to be a lot of powdered sugar. Additionally, you wrote, "Gradually beat in enough of the remaining powdered sugar to make the frosting of spreading consistency." This would seem to indicate you may have added a lesser amount to begin with?
Very moist bars! I used cloves & cinnamon for the spices. I also added a tsp. of maple extract to the frosting and topped w/ chopped pecans! I would probably use an 11x17 pan next time since they were a little high over the pan once I added the frosting. Will definitely make again!
they are very good