Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A perfect dessert for autumn! These bars are light like cake and very moist. They have a thin layer of yummy orange cream cheese frosting on top of them and they are not too fattening. They are very thin bars if you use a 17x11 pan, so if you prefer a thicker bar, use a 9x11 pan. Recipe is from Gooseberry Patch's Holidays at Home cookbook.
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated orange peel (or lemon)
- Spray 17"x11-1/2" baking pan with nonstick spray (use 9"x11" for thicker bars if preferred).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves in medium bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin, egg whites, oil and water until combined.
- Spread batter into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until test done with toothpick.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, beat together cream cheese, one cup powdered sugar, vanilla and grated lemon or orange peel until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar.
- Frost bars and enjoy!
- Keep covered and stored in refrigerator.